Pregnancy is one of the most sensible conditions to dental problems of patients. The main factors leading to diseases of the teeth and gums during this period are the following:
- hormonal balance changes. Result: bleeding gums, soreness of periodontal tissues, gingivitis
- composition and salvia ph changes, as a result salvia fails to cope with the protection against bacteria. Thus it increases the risk of developing caries and gingivitis
- teeth damage from gastric acid. The first trimester for most women may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Vomit contains a high percentage of hydrochloric acid of gastric juices. With frequent vomiting, acid damages teeth enamel.
All these factors cause disappointing consequences. If the oral cavity has not been sanitized before planning pregnancy, the risk of the disease complication increases. Moderate caries becomes deep, complicated by pulp inflammation (pulpitis), previously destroyed teeth, as spots of infection in oral cavity are often removed.
One of the common complaints of patients is an increased sensitivity of the tooth enamel to cold, hot, sweet food or drinks. This is due to the fact that during fetus formation, the body of the expectant mother is tuned in to transfer the mineral component to the baby and the development of the bone skeleton. If the enamel was initially cracked or the oral cavity was not treated in time, tooth sensitivity may not only appear, but also progress throughout the pregnancy.
Definitely, the best option is when the expectant mother has undergone a complete oral cavity sanitation before planning her pregnancy. But, if the tooth enamel is ruined, the gums bleed, there is acute pain, then you need to quickly fix the problem. A carious tooth or an inflamed gum is a kind of bacterial time bomb. The infected spot in the body of a pregnant woman can negatively affect the course of pregnancy and fetal development. Therefore, if you have a dental problem in any trimester, you need proper treatment from a competent specialist who knows and will accurately evaluates all indications and risks.
Pain Relief Options During Pregnancy
One of the risk factors during dental and oral cavity treatment for expectant mother lies in pain relievers.
It is inadvisable to use anesthetics:
- in first trimester;
- in the last month of pregnancy;
- with allergy on pain reliever components.
For pregnant women anesthesia, drugs based on lidocaine and adrenaline are prohibited. A relatively safe option for local anesthesia are drugs from the articaine group. It is desirable to use anesthetics in the form of applications or injections. Anesthesia/sedation are contraindicated.
Dental Care in Different Periods of Pregnancy
|First and third trimester||Any planned dental procedures are undesirable. Only for medical indications|
|Second trimester||Possible to carry out planned treatment to eliminate spot of chronical infection|
Teeth Extraction During Pregnancy
Tooth extraction is a surgical manipulation that cannot avoid anesthesia and sometimes antibiotic therapy. In this connection, it is advisable to postpone tooth extraction to the period after pregnancy. Tooth extraction should only be done for vital reasons and only by a competent dental surgeon.
Diagnostics During Pregnancy
In cases of pulpitis, neglected caries for the choice of therapy, the dentist needs to run diagnostics. A targeted X-ray is allowed in rare cases in second trimester. Digital radiovisiography (RVG single tooth image) method is more safe for expectant mother and her child. But, even using this diagnostic method, additional radiation protection is required.
What dental manipulations are strictly prohibited for pregnant women?
The procedures below shall not be carried out for expectant mother:
- dental implantation. Osseointegration (ingrowth) of the implant requires a plenty of body resources. On the background of demineralization of the expectant mother organism, this procedure is highly unreasonable. Also, preparation and recovery after implantation is sometimes accompanied by antibiotics intake and X-ray examination, which is not recommended during pregnancy
- professional teeth whitening. Due to changes in salvia composition enamel has increased sensitivity. Therefore, it is undesirable to carry out this aesthetic procedure
- bite correction with braces. Pregnant women are not treated by an orthodontist
Prevention of Dental Diseases During Pregnancy
Ideal case, when woman takes care of her health in advance. Visits before planning pregnancy all specialists and gets from all of them recommendations.
Considering dental care, of course, experts advise women to cure caries in advance, remove wisdom teeth and decayed roots that cannot be restored and treated, set up, if necessary, dental implants.
During pregnancy it is essential to pay special attention to dental hygiene. At the first sign of bleeding gums, see your dentist right away, as bleeding gums may indicate the onset of gingivitis. The dentist will provide assistance taking into account the term of pregnancy, its course, and will give further recommendations for the care of the oral cavity.
Pregnancy is an exciting process for a woman. Therefore, the expectant mother needs not only dentists` high qualification, but sensitivity and tolerance.
The H-Clinic will help a pregnant woman keep her smile healthy and beautiful.